The inevitable stories of passport abuse

THE INEVITABLE STORIES OF PASSPORT ABUSE

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving in Florence

Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone in the U.S.  I wish I could have been home to celebrate with my family and friends, but as I am half way across the world that wasn't going to happen.  So naturally I planned the next best thing, Thanksgiving dinner with the friends in Florence that have become my family. I must selfishly admit that cooking a Thanksgiving dinner was a lifeline for me; I needed something to take my mind off of the fact that I wasn't at home pouring my Grandmothers several glasses of wine and whipping up a pumpkin pie with my sister. So I invited everyone over to Via dei Pilastri for a home-cooked meal. Let me just say this, I have a new found respect for mothers (or fathers) who have ever cooked a Thanksgiving meal....IT IS NOT EASY! I asked everyone to bring a favorite dish and I would provide the turkey (named Lorenzo). I also ended up making two different kinds of stuffing from scratch, rehydrated dried cranberries so we could have cranberry sauce with our turkey, chopped some veggies for our roasted vegetables, peeling potatoes for homemade mashed potatoes, peeling apples for apple pie, buying a pumpkin pie (long story short.....pumpkin pie without canned pumpkin takes way longer than a day) and more. Oh and did I mention we only have one oven? By the time dinner was served ( much later than anticipated) all I wanted to do was sleep! But alas, then there were the dishes. From now on my mother with NEVER have to do dishes after she cooks; I have learned the hard way that dishes are a cruel and unusual punishment after a long day of cooking. With that said, Thanksgiving Florence style was a success, everything turned out delicious, if I do say so myself, and everyone had a great time. With the smells of Lorenzo cooking, the Christmas music and all of the laughs it actually felt like Thanksgiving, something I wasn't expecting. I am so grateful to have met all of these amazing people that made a Thanksgiving away from home that much easier.

P.S. ONLY 25 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS :]

No comments:

Post a Comment