The inevitable stories of passport abuse

THE INEVITABLE STORIES OF PASSPORT ABUSE

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Autumn in Florence

September 21st marks the official first day of autumn and I think Mother Nature must be really strict when it comes to Florence; barely three days later and fall has arrived.  It is not that the weather is much colder than it was three days ago, but I can just smell autumn in the breeze, hear it in the birds chirping see it in the leaves in our backyard. I LOVE autumn. Every single thing about it.  The rain, the smells, the clothes, but especially the food. Only 4 days until October and all I am thinking about is cinnamon, chili, and PUMPKINS.  Today I have had an overwhelming desire to bake; candy-corn cupcakes, Graham cracker s'more cookies, pumpkin cinnamon rolls, pumpkin chocolate chip bread...comfort foods.  Needless to say I am missing home a little bit, all the things that accompany the taste of cinnamon and the smell of fall.  I have been in Florence for a month and don't get me wrong, I love everything about this city.  But I miss the laughs of my family, I miss cooking with my mom, I miss my dog laying on my lap.  I never really considered that by being across the globe I would be missing my favorite season with my favorite people. I am trying to figure out how to embrace everything autumn has to offer in my new home and I am loving the process.  Yesterday I sat with the doors open to our backyard ( risking many bug bites), wrapped up in my sweats, just so I could smell autumn in the wind. Even across the world fall smells the same but I am however, missing baking with pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment